Some final notes
Reflecting back on the unit, I feel that I could have explored a lot more ideas, but due to joining the course midway through the project, I feel I missed out on crucial time.
I wish I had experimented with screen printing and transferring the designs onto everyday objects like bags and duvets etc to emphasise the idea of integrating the message of my work into the lives of more people.
I like the idea of creating work for product design and commercial and retail purposes.
I also wish I had more time to follow through with the technique of combining photography with my illustrations. I am so annoyed with myself that I only got the idea the day before the deadline, but it is definitely something to consider for the next project. The ‘Romantik’ book was full of great inspiration.
I feel that my technique and confidence in my drawings has improved greatly during the unit, on Fine Art i never had the opportunity to improve on my technical skill so I have really been grateful of the move. I feel that I still have a lot of room for improvement!
Mock up duvet covers.
Keeping on with the sleeping route, I thought it would be ironic to turn the design into duvet covers. The illustrations are very vintage/shabby chic which is in fashion now.
Just a little idea, thinking outside the box on how to contextualise my illustration in another way.
The new idea inside of an embellished frame, I feel that the frame clashes with the frames in the drawing on the downside.
A COMPLETELY NEW IDEA I’VE HAD THE DAY BEFORE THE DEADLINE!!!!!
This is just a rough attempt at my vision, but it would combine my love for traditional drawing and pencil mark making with current digital photography. After reading through ‘Romantik’ it suddenly came to me that this is the a I should have explored more. The flowers add colour, depth, visual interest and contrast to the pencil images.
If I had more time I would use this method on the full scale and print it out professionally.
This is a technique I shall continue with into the next project.
Artwork from the book ”Romantik” which I find inspiring. The combination of digital photographs and nature inspired illustration is incredible, it is definitely something I wish to learn to master. I haven’t found it the easiest of things, transferring from Fine Art, but now I must get to grips with illustration techniques!
I am creating mugs with my designs on!
They have not arrived yet but they should be here by the time my assessment comes about.
This was a side avenue of interest for me, introducing my illustrations to the mundane object of every day life. I feel that the moral of my story is so important that it should be integrated into peoples lives in any way possible and what better way than on a mug for when people have a cuppa.
I like my art to have a practical use.
Also I chose the most vintage looking design of mug for my illustrations to be printed onto to keep within the theme.
Experimenting with a different frame option
I like the simplicity of the clip frame, it has a clean finish, decor wise it ties in with anything (no need to match a fancy frame with fancy furniture) but what I dislike is the clips that hold the frame together, they distract the eye from the illustration.
Hanging it up in a bedroom above a bed
I think that it would be quite poetic if the print was to be displayed in this situation. The bedroom is where one sleeps and the story is essentially Sleeping Beauty. Also the bedroom is also the most personal space to someone aside from inside their own head which the narrative represents.
I’d have liked for this print in the frame to be a lot larger.
I found a vintage look frame for my A3 print. The grey compliments the silver frame and contrasts well against the white backdrop. I really would have preferred not having to float mount it but I am pleased with the result. Ideally the frame would be more embellished, but this is all I could afford with my sad overdraft!
The next step was to get the product printed. I had originally been set upon the idea of just printing A2 as I made sure the images were of the highest quality when I scanned them in to Photoshop, but I thought it would be interesting to experiment with smaller sizes as the resolution in theory would be even clearer.
I also experimented with paper type…the ticker more glossy paper was too plastic for my liking, i preferred the feel and look of the cartridge paper. The resolution was a lot clearer.
I had all three versions of the final product printed, I still prefer the darker one.